Coronavirus has people going a little crazy! Hand washing is important any day, but especially when there’s a serious virus spreading. Do we think the media is over-hyping coronavirus? Yes, but we do think we need to be precautionary! And hand sanitizer is one of those things that can make a huge difference in a time of this.
Of course, actual soap and water is always best, but if you can’t get to a sink, hand sanitizer is your second defense against a nasty virus like the coronavirus!
Making homemade hand sanitizer is super easy to do. We’ll show you how to make homemade hand sanitizer with only 2 or 3 ingredients.
The active ingredient in this hand sanitizer recipe is the alcohol, which needs to comprise at least 60% of the product in order to be an effective disinfectant. You can customize its fragrance using essential oils, but not require.
- 2/3 cup 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol or ethanol
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
- (Optional) 8-10 drops essential oil (i.e., lavender, vanilla, peppermint, grapefruit)
- A recycled liquid soap or hand sanitizer container
Before you begin, prepare your work area:
Medium mixing bowl, mixing spoon, small funnel.
Follow these steps:
- Thoroughly clean the recycled container and allow it to air dry before using.
- Mix the aloe gel and isopropyl alcohol together in medium bowl.
- If preferred, add 8-10 drops of essential oil to customize its fragrance. Stir to combine.
- Use a funnel to pour the mixture into the container.
- Securely attach the lid/pump onto the container and you’re ready to go.
Prevention Is Key
Stay safe from catching a virus like the Coronavirus by washing your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap, keep from touching your eyes and nose and place bottles of this homemade recipe in your car and home for quick use.
Get creative with your containers by using water bottles, mason jars or empty soap dispensers.